Monday, May 12, 2008

WEEKLY BLOOM: PERFECT SPRING

This is a perfect Spring. By that I mean perfect conditions for growing. Everything is large and full of color. All our city plants look positively corn-fed. I'm not sure what combination of conditions have brought this about, but I'm using my crappy point and shoot to get it all down. One day I'll get an SLR and my selective focus will be better selected, if you know what I mean.

Here's a short list of what's currently blooming:
Forget me nots (above).

Lilacs:
These are in Central Park's Conservatory garden which is ringed by very old lilac bushes of all different colors. It smells good in there.

Tulips:
Tulips are just over their prime. They had a gorgeous season this year.

Whatever this is:
This white flowering shrub is in CP's Conservatory Garden.

Other blooming things:
Asian Dogwood
White Azaleas
Bluebells
Wisteria (just starting)
So many other things, I can't count.

Things past their prime:
apple blossoms
cherry blossoms
regular dogwood
daffodils and other early spring bulbs

Blooming in my house: The yarn tree. Getting bigger but still miles to go:

2 comments:

Peggie Balcom said...

Lilacs - We do not get any lilacs here in Arizona, which makes me more than a little sad. I guess you need sticky summers and freezy winters for that sort of sweetness. I remember when we lived in Walton, NY, we had a large lilac tree in the backyard. We would picnic under it. It smelled so wonderful - I remember getting lilac blossoms in my lemonade. Lilacs floating in lemonade - It doesn't get any better than that, does it?

Souvenirs & Shiny Things Installation said...

Wow! I wish I remembered that too. That sounds lovely. I bet you can go somewhere in Soho and buy lilac lemonade for $12.50 a glass, but it would not be the same.